Heartburn is a burning feeling felt behind the breastbone. This is cause when the ring of muscle between the stomach and the oesophagus allows stomach acid to travel up the food pipe.
Causes of Heartburn
- Spicy, Fatty Food
- Being Overweight
- Being Pregnant
- Certain Medication
- Certain Genes
Treatment of Heartburn
- Antacids such as Gaviscon will provide instant relief from symptoms. It forms a raft on top of the stomach contents hence preventing acid from leaking out.
- Omeprazole is a Proton Pump Inhibitor which can be purchased from a pharmacy for short term relief of reflux symptoms. It takes between one to two hours after first dose to notice an effect.
- H2 antagonist such as Ranitidine suppresses the production of acid in the stomach lining.
- Use extra pillows to raise the upper body allowing gravity to stop the travel of acid into the food pipe.
- Do not go to bed just after eating.
- Eat small food portions regularly instead of one large portion.
- Avoid any of the causes of heartburn listed above.
Look at latest entry on Health & Wellness
[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]